The Woodbury Heights Police Department was founded in 1961. Prior to that date police protection was provided by the New Jersey State Police. Town Marshalls and volunteers from the local Fire Department provided police services also. In 1929 the first school safety patrol was established at the Woodbury Heights Elementary School. In 1966 the first Police Chief was Tuck McCabe. Since then there have been five police chiefs. The Police Department became a 24 hour, 7 day a week operation in 1984.